Friday, July 25, 2008

Happy Birthday to Wikipedia!

While surfing vnunet.com, an information-packed website, I came across many interesting news. One is that Wikipedia has completed 7-years of existence on January 16, 2008. I have been regularly using it, almost daily, yet I did not know this. I could have said Happy Birthday on January 16, 2008. Sorry I missed it.

As you all may probably be aware, it is the world’s first open source, free encyclopedia, and one of the top 10 most-visited sites in the Net. It has currently over nine million pages of information written in over 250 languages, covering almost the whole gamut of human knowledge. As of this minute, it has 2,471,741 articles in English alone.

Wikipedia has provoked Google, another favourite of mine, to come up with something to rival it today, namely, KNOL. <http://knol.google.com/k/knol#>. This type of competition is really healthy and we the users benefit by it the most.

As a lover and frequent user of Wikipedia, I am very glad to say Happy Birthday to Wikipedia! Better late than never, what you say!

Many thanks to vnunet for the information.

No comments: