Friday, July 27, 2012

Tablet World-2: Aakash, the world's cheapest tablet computer

My previous posting was about Top 10 Budget Tablets in India. Actually my knowledge about Tablets is just two months old. I should have started at the beginning. However, for people like me, with limited resources, Budget Tablets is something sweet to hear. So I rushed and posted it. Now I am starting at the beginning and shall proceed with one posting a day about Tablets, my new-found love.

Two months back I was lamenting to Rajeev about my inability to buy a Laptop which would make things easier for me to do something creative, as I am on the move most of the time. He told me that cheaper options were available in the form of Tablet PCs. I had heard about Tablets but did not take them seriously. Rajeev then started briefing me about Aakash and UBISlate.(UBISlate - What a fitting name!  A Tablet reminds me of a slate we used to carry to school as toddlers)  He also provided me with a clipping. I got interested and after that, when I saw any news or ads about Tablets in newspapers I pounced on it. I also started collecting clippings from newspapers. In addition, I also started browsing for Tablets and slowly learned more about them.

Today I shall start with Aakash and UBISlate as it is still the cheapest Tablet in the world and then proceed to write about one Tablet PC a day because my clippings have swelled and I have now a lot of info on Tablets.

The world's cheapest tablet computer, Aakash, was launched in India during Oct 2011 with 500 school students, pursuing graduation, getting them. UK-based Datawind had offered to sell its Tablets at Rs.17,50/- ($35) if an order for one million units is placed. The Govt has offered a 50% subsidy for students.

It is Wi-Fi enabled with a 7-inch touch screen and is based on Google's Android 2.2 operating system. It has an internal storage capacity of 2GB which can be increased to 32 GB with an SD card, a battery backup of nearly three hours and two USB ports.

Datawind, which makes the tablet in Hyderabad at 700 units a day, is selling the tablet commercially at Rs 2,999 with a year-long warranty, under the brand name of UbiSlate. UbiSlate will come with an inbuilt 2G SIM for web access, with an internet plan at Rs.99 per month.

I did not rush to register for UBISlate, as I had some bitter experience with Mobiles. I decided to wait before making a decision, as more powerful and sophisticated Tablets have started pouring in, with more battery power and other advancements.  The purchase of a Tablet is a lifetime purchase for me and I may not get another opportunity or resources to buy another.

Tomorrow I shall talk about what I know about iPad.


Aakash Tablet Review by Joel Rai in India Today:
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/aakash-tablet-review/1/164487.html


Article from Wikipedia about Tablet PCs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_computer

Grateful thanks to Rajeev, Joel Rai, India Today and Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

No comments: